UBC Blogs’ WordPress import and export tool allows you to export your entire website or content from one site to another. Although UBC students continue to have free access to UBC Blogs after graduation, you may consider moving your website to WordPress.com, which offers more freedom for customization.
- Begin at your Dashboard. Select “Tools” from the column on the left side of the page, and select “Export.”
- Choose what you would like to export. You may select “All Content,” “Posts,” “Pages,” or “Media.” To export your whole site, select “All Content.”
- Click “Download Export File.” This downloads an XML file, also referred to as a WordPress eXtended RSS (WXR) file.
- Go to WordPress.com. Create an account and a domain if you have not already done so.
- Click “Login” in the top right, input your username and password, and click “Login.”
- Go to “My Sites” in the upper-left corner, then “Settings,” then select the “import” tab.
- Click on “Start Import.”
- Click the box that appears, and select the exported WXR file (from Step 3, above).
- Click “Open,” and the file will be initially processed.
- Click “Start Import.” You may navigate away from this page while the file is importing, but you should not stop or close the page.
- Your ePortfolio content should appear in their respective areas.